Thursday, June 28, 2007

Instilling the knowledge

My cubicle mate at work is a film junkie. Ask him anything - he knows about it, and there have many afternoons where he has generously taken it upon himself the educate me. I listen, of course, but admittedly, I don't absorb everything he tells me. It's not because I'm not interested. It's because the film-related trivia he is trying to instill upon me is stuff I've never heard of.

So, with my small bit of recently acquired film knowledge, I put it to him.

"Tell me about cinema verite."

He was pleasantly surprised. I could see it on his face. He began to talk about it at length, naming movies (I'm embarrassed to admit) I'd never heard of. He clearly saw the blank look on my face.

Finally, he said, "Borat."

Ah! I see! I got it - at least a little. (For the record, I hated that movie.) But I began to understand what he meant because he used something I knew.

And the lightbulb finally went on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home